Scientific Materials Manager
I grew up in northwest Georgia. I completed my undergraduate and graduate degrees in Biology from Georgia Southern University in Statesboro, GA. My thesis project focused on life cycles of trematodes (a group of parasites). After graduating, I knew I wanted to branch out and experience other locations, which is how I ended up at FSC! I have been a part of the Biology department since 2015 in various roles. Since working here, I have developed a great interest in Microbiology in addition to Parasitology. I enjoy working with our work-study and research students to expand their knowledge of laboratory safety and best practices for working in a lab. I have been a member of NAOSMM (National Association of Scientific Materials Managers) since 2018. Outside of work I enjoy hiking, kayaking, watching movies, and spending time with my dog, Abby.
- All things laboratory safety!
- Ensure faculty, staff, and students follow proper lab safety rules and are up to date on training.
- Maintain and create SOPs (Standard Operation Procedures) for lab protocols, equipment, etc.
- Help with lab prepping, particularly microbiology.
- Sometimes teach Applied Microbiology (Bio 2280) labs.
- Coordinate repair and maintenance of lab equipment.
- Coordinate proper disposal of hazardous waste.
- Maintain Chemical Hygiene Plan.
- Maintain chemical and equipment inventory.
Location: Polk Science 131
Office phone: 863-680-5024